Thursday, May 5, 2011

In Rehearsal with Light Opera Works:Q&A with Maggie Portman

Hello once again Blog Buddies! Kyle here again. Last week we gave you a peek at Rob Hunt who is playing Tommy in our upcoming production of Brigadoon. During this week of rehearsals, I have an interview with the funny, and extremely talented actor,singer, and dancer Maggie Portman who is playing Meg! Once we get to the interview you can tell why she was cast so brilliantly as the comic relief of Brigadoon!














Full given name
: Maggie Anne Portman

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia

Special skills: I’m a mean roller skater and a great multi tasker!

Skill/talent you wish you had or were better at: Computer skills! I’m like a grandma on those things!

First musical you ever saw: Cinderella was first one I ever saw I was 6 and it was a Cobb County Choral Youth production of it. Stellar!

Current Chicago show you have been recommending to friends: Rodgers and Hammerstein Revue at the No Exit Café with Theo Ubique

Three favorite musicals: Sweet Charity, Hair, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (cheesy I know but come on that show is fun!)

Favorite showtune of all time: "Oom Pah Pah!" from Oliver or "Master of the House" from Les Misérables. I love a great drinkin' song and a dance number full of bar wenches! Ha ha ha!

The one live performance that you will never forget: Seeing Les Misérables with that revolving stage and that huge barricade! Oh and the voices and the show were so emotional, I cried my eyes out! Breathtaking!

What has been your most embarrassing moment on stage? Hello Dolly National Tour, I’m wearing a big pink strawberry shortcake poofy dress and it’s the courtroom scene. Suddenly, and most embarrassing, I need to go to the bathroom so bad I didn't know what to do. I had to try to sneak offstage without being noticed in the middle of a very quiet moment in a big pink poofy dress and bright red wig! and then I had to explain it to our company manager and stage manager and the cast after the show. Aaaaaaahhh!



Most played song on your iPod: Fiona Apple Extraordinary machine “I had to break the window”

Last book you read: Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Last good movie you saw: 9-5 on rerun TV the other night was most recent! That copy machine scene is my life!

Must-see TV show: Americas Next Top Model

Three greatest TV shows of all time: all time ? really? Uh……. Cosby Show, Golden Girls, Lost

Performer you would drop everything to go see: Patti Lupone

Tell me the story of your First stage kiss: EW! He slipped me the tongue. It was the biggest soap opera drama moment ever! I had all the kids talking about it in our theatre company. I was dating a guy in the cast and I guess this other guy kinda had a crush and decided to take his moment. Unfortunately it was my first stage kiss so I was traumatized for quite a while after that. Took me years to build up trust again. He licked almost my whole face poor guy. He recently contacted me on facebook to apologize for that kiss that happened 20 years ago, literally!! Couldn’t believe he was still thinking about it!

Favorite or most memorable onstage role as a child/teenager: Dorothy in The Wiz

Worst job you ever had: Street surveying. People actually punched me. I have never felt so low in my life. I got screamed at, pushed, punched, and shunned. I don’t envy those people with the clipboards in the street! I called my temp agent and quit on the job!!

Who would play you in the movie? If she was younger than me I’d say Sissy Spacek, now it would probably be Natalie Portman just to piss me off. She stole my last name, it’s a silly petty thing but I’ve never liked her because of that and with my luck that’s what would happen. The universe is a comedian!

Three things you can't live without: Pepsi, Chocolate, my kitty cat Akasha Lily. Just try to take one of these my pretty….just try!

Finish this sentence: "I'll never understand why…" people walk around so unaware of their personal space and surroundings. I’m always shouting like a crazy bag lady about how everyone should be required to take drama classes to learn how to get around without bumping into people or how to weave through people to move through streets faster. And don’t just stop suddenly in the middle of the sidewalk! Look around you. Patience is not one of my virtues!

For tickets for Brigadoon go to www.lightoperaworks.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment