Thursday, August 4, 2011

In Rehearsal with Light Opera Works: Q&A with Danielle M. Knox

Hello blog buddies! Kyle here. We just began tech rehearsals for THE STUDENT PRINCE, and we're gearing up for opening night on Saturday, August 20th.

We have another exciting cast interview for you, this time with
the lovely Danielle M. Knox, who will be appearing as Kathie in our upcoming production of THE STUDENT PRINCE. Seeing a rollerskating musical, a nude Jude Law, and having to kiss your best friend's boyfriend on stage would be enough to turn any young actor away from the theatre, but not so for Danielle.

Full Name: Danielle M. Knox

Hometown: Massapequa, New York on the south shore of Long Island.

Spe
cial Skills: I make a good meatball thanks to my grandma.

Skil
l/talent you wish you had or were better at: Telling jokes. I either mess up the punch line, get lost in the middle, or start laughing at myself. Sad... I know.

First musical you ever saw: Because I lived so close to New York City, I was lucky to see a lot of musicals on Broadway. I think the first was STARLIGHT EXPRESS. There's just something about singers on roller skates.

Current Chicago show you have been recommending to friends: Come see THE STUDENT PRINCE!


Three favorite musicals: Wow, hard to narrow down, but here it goes:

1. WEST SIDE STORY
2. SHE LOVES ME
3. THE MUSIC MAN

Favorite show tune of all time: This always depends on my mood.. "Somewhere" from WEST SIDE STORY.. Beautiful words... Beautiful music.

The one performance you've attended that you will never forget: When I was 13, my whole family went to see a play called INDISCRETIONS. We had no idea what it was about but my mom had heard that it received good reviews. We were seated second row center, and Act 2 begins with a 30-minute nude scene by Jude Law (before he became crazy famous). I will never forget the looks on my parents' faces when he stepped out of the bath tub. Priceless!

What has been your most embarrassing moment on stage? When I was in THE SORCERER, I came out to do a dialogue scene with Alexis, and the train of my dress got caught underneath the house set piece. We did the whole dialogue with me gracefully trying to pull my skirt free. Finally, I heard a lady in the audience say "Oh no, she's stuck." So, I wadded the back of my dress in my fist and gave it a huge tug. I freed myself just in time for my exit with a little less dress as a result.

Most played song on your iPod: Right now, it's a toss up between Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" and Train's "Hey, Soul Sister." Adele's "Someone Like You" sneaks on as well
!

Performer you would drop everything to go see: My sister. She is also
a performer, and it would be a great excuse to hang out with her in France.

Tell me the story of your first stage kiss: I was a sophomore in high school playing the role of Laurie in OKLAHOMA! I had to plant a big one on Curly, my friend's boyfriend at the time. She was Ado Annie. Awkward!

Favorite or most memorable onstage role as a child/teenager: I was 9 when I did my first show. I was in a community theater show for children called "Annabelle Broom." I remember coming home from school, and my mom kept calling me Judy. I thought she had lost her mind! Really, she was trying to tell me I got the part. I was beyond excited!

Worst job you ever had: One summer I worked at an
ice-cream shop that never had any business. I read a lot of books that summer.

Who would play you in a movie? Hmm.... People say I look like Rose McGowan, but she seems way too scary to play me in a movie. Let's go with Anne Hathaway.

Three things you can't live without: My hubby, my dog, and HBO

Finish this sentence: "I'll never understand why...": I'll never understand why (SPOILER ALERT) the Prince doesn't choose Kathie.

Keep an eye out for more cast interviews next week and be sure to get your tickets for THE STUDENT PRINCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment