Friday, December 2, 2011

The Secret Garden in Rehearsal



Hello All,
Usually we do rehearsal pictures on the blog for our shows. This show we get to show you some puppet pictures! The artistic team has been hard at work for The Secret Garden creating an amazingly stunning concept for the show. This shadow puppet show is just one of the many beautifully artistic moments in the production. In the song, "Race You to the Top of the Morning" Archibald sings while reading a storybook to his handicapped son, Colin, who is asleep in bed. This promises to be one of the many moving moments in the show. Check out the pictures below!

Kyle Dougan
Light Opera Works Production Associate

Here are the lyrics to Archibald's touching and heartfelt song:

When we left off last night
The hideous dragon
Had carried the maid to his cave by moonlight
He gnashed his teeth, and breathed his fire
The heath quaked, and we trembled in fear.

I said someone must save this sweet raven-haired maiden,
Though surely the cost will be steep.
So we lads all drew lots,
Our insides tied in knots,
And I won, and the rest went to sleep.

So, I picked up my staff,
And I followed the trail Of his smoke
To the mouth of the cave,
And I bid him come out,
Yea, forsooth, I did shout,
Ye fool dragon be gone or behave!

And then under my breath,
I uttered a charm said
To make the worst fiends become kind.
Knaves and knights of dire plights,
Now diminish his sights!
And it worked and the dragon went blind.

And he charged off the cliff
Howling mad and he died,
And the maiden accepted my ring.
And then you came along,
And were brave, bold, and strong,
And in thanks, every night now I sing:

Race you to the top of the morning!
Come, sit on my shoulders and ride!
Run and hide, I'll come and find you,
Climb hills to remind you,
I love you, my boy at my side!

Now, another foul dragon's appeared,
I must leave you.
He's scorching our land with his breath.
From his lair this one taunts me,
He dares me, he haunts me.
Once again, we must fight to the death!

Would to God I could stay and instead slay your dragon,
This beast who sits hunched on your back.
Would God I could wrench him away from your bed,
Or cut off or tear off his terrible head,
Could breathe out my fire on him
'Till he was dead,
Or beg him to spare you and take me instead!

As it is I must leave you in care of my brother,
The wizard, who lives on the hill,
Who has promised his art,
Will soon pierce through the heart
Of this dragon that's keeping you ill.

And I know that your mother, God bless her,
Would want you to do as he says and grow strong.
And you know that as soon as I can I'll return,
So be brave, son and know that I long
To race you to the top of the morning!
Come, sit on my shoulders and ride.
Run and hide, I'll come and find you,
Climb hills to remind you
I love you!
I love you, my boy at my side!




Tickets for The Secret Garden Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment